Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cute Boys and Good Music... What Else is There?


But seriously.
Last weekend, I took a visiting friend out to Caveau des Oubliettes to see a free concert by the group SETENTA, nebulously described on the website as "afro-jazz"... the question of genre is an interesting one - last time I went to this bar (ostensibly a jazz club), the band was doing Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson covers. jazz just has a really different definition here than in the U.S. - a jazz club is typically more easily defined by what it is not (at least in my limited experience): not pop, not rock, not rap, not classical.

Basically, I just figured it would probably be fun (generally I'm down for any music with "Latin" influences... whatever that means), but really didn't know what to expect. 

And that's when they all walked on in their not quite coordinated outfits, and started playing super danceable Latin/pop/funk. Probably best described as santana meets Tito Puente meets a hint of West Africa meets... French people. The band was so tight, with such adorably precise arrangements, that you really had to just not have ears to not want to have a total Shakira moment... they were all just having a fantastic time, dancing and singing and playing pretty much every percussion instrument you can imagine (I did not demand more cowbell, but I was sorely tempted).



The venue wasn't ideal (tiny cave crammed full of tables), since everyone (obviously) wanted to dance - I definitely would like to see them when they're playing at a larger venue (possibly one with affordable mojitos? I don't think I've ever heard more mojito appropriate music than these guys...). Here's another video of their live show... the most fun.

Unrelated: I just realized that online mixtapes exist.. like a day ago. Not sure where I've been. Anyway, found both of these on The Hairpin:

2. This is anti-valentine's (late i know) but also just a lot of good pop songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment